Co-op in Vancouver!

Hello! I will be working as a research assistant at the Nippon Foundation-University of British Columbia (UBC) Nereus Program (http://www.nereusprogram.org/) until the end of July. I am a 3rd year marine biology student at Northeastern University and this is my first co-op. The delay in the start of my first co-op is due to my participation in Northeastern's Three Seas Program that I just finished last semester. The Three Seas program is a marine biology immersion program where students take classes in the spring at Northeastern University’s Marine Science Center in Nahant, MA. In the fall, classes are taken at the University of Washington’s Friday Harbor Laboratories in the San Juan Islands, WA  and then at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Bocas del Toro, Panama. The program was an amazing experience and exposed me to the marine beauty and complexity of the Pacific Northwest! While I was in the San Juans, I was applying to co-ops and the idea of staying in the area was appealing. Conveniently, the fisheries science program of the University of British Columbia is home to the leaders in the field. I looked into the different programs of the university and came across the Nereus Program which combined my interests in interdisciplinary fisheries science research. 
View of the ocean and mountains on the UBC campus

I emailed the program director, we skyped, and he told me he was interested in hiring me but could not provide much (if any) funding. Disheartened, I turned to Northeastern to look for funding. My co-op director suggested I apply to NU's Global Presidential Scholarship which provides funds for international co-op students. I applied to this, but knowing that Vancouver was an expensive city to live in and that the scholarship would not cover all costs, I looked into other sources of funding. I emailed my financial aid counselor and she was able to provide me with the Irving and Charlotte Backman Environmental Co-op Fund after I explained my co-op's involvement environmental policy. The same week, I was awarded the Global presidential scholarship and a small stipend from the Nereus Program. With this news, I was going to Vancouver without a doubt and realized funding is definitely out there if you ask around. 

Now that funding was taken care of, I started to look into housing in Vancouver. I found a UBC student Facebook page for rental/sublets and started searching the postings. I found a post in a good location with rent way cheaper than Boston ($560 USD). I spoke with the sublettee and we shared a lot of similar interests. She told me about her other roommates, 4 total, and they all sounded like people who I would get along well with. I signed the lease and I started getting ready for co-op in Vancouver!

Me, my dad, and sister at Chatter Creek in Donald, BC


Before I started co-op, I was fortunate enough to go on a ski trip with family and friends in the mountains of British Columbia. If you are a skier, you should 100% ski in BC! The best skiing ever. 

After skiing, I started co-op and working on a fisheries job quality project with the Nereus Program. I really enjoy the people I work with and have made friends with the graduate students who also work there. I have just gotten back from a trip to Seattle for a fisheries workshop where I was participating in the discussion over major conflicts in the field today. I have really enjoyed meeting and working with so many accomplished individuals and learning more about the field of fisheries research. 
 Porteau cove, a campsite north of Vancouver by about an hour with really good stars. 
Sunset on the way to Whistler at Porteau Cove
Outside of work, I spend most of my time with my roommates who are all so great and have included me in their outings. I definitely lucked out on finding roommates that I get along with so well. Two of my roommates have cars and we have gone to Whistler to ski almost every weekend so far. We go to trivia night every Tuesday and went on a camping trip to Tofino a couple of weeks ago. I suggest to anyone that comes to Vancouver to be very selective in looking for roommates as they could really make your time in a new city so much better :). Although...not all of my current roommates are so great. There is one (to remain anonymous) that is really difficult to live with. He is constantly talking about cheesecake, donuts, and high school musical. He doesn't appreciate eggs or digestives. He also calls me "hag" which is I find extremely disrespectful for all of the actual hags out there. They don't deserve that. I try to avoid him at all costs. But what can you do? Win some, lose most. 

I have yet to get a "feel" of Vancouver and plan on spending more time exploring when the ski season winds down. But for now, attached are some photos from some cool things that I have done so far while living in Vancouver!

Tofino, Vancouver Island trip
10/10 highly recommend the trip. We stayed at the Ucluelet campground for 5 nights and had an amazing time! Tofino is so beautiful and I plan to go back in the summer. 
Surfing on Long Beach

Exploring the intertidal and found a Gumboot chiton!










Comments

  1. Wow it sounds amazing so far! I'm a huge fan of the Pacific Northwest in general but I've really only every been around Washington state. Your pictures are awesome! I thought it would be fun to see what the other Beyond Boston bloggers are up to- my blog is up at alexis-on-coop.blogspot.com
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lucy! What a cool experience, I really enjoy all the pics and science terminology!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday: Stanley park strolls and Seymour skiing

Casey comes to visit!