UBC Varsity Outdoor Club

Hello!

This week I thought I could explain to you a little bit about the UBC outing club, or as they call it the Varsity outdoor club (VOC).  I recently became a member and I am really excited about what the club has to offer for this summer!  I have been a member of Northeastern's outing club (NUHOC) since freshman year and assumed the VOC would be very similar in size and scale. However, I soon found out that the VOC is like NUHOC on steroids. The club is also student run, but members run trips almost every weekend, year round. At Northeastern, I feel fairly advanced in my outdoor knowledge of skiing, backpacking, hiking, etc but at UBC, I am definitely a noob.  A majority of the trips are far beyond my skill level and involve multi-day ice climbs, week-long kayaking trips, and intense backcountry ski trips. The fee for membership is $40 ( much more than NUHOC's $10 fee) and it gives you access to gear rentals, anywhere from camping gear to white-water kayaks. The club has their own room with a full gear rental area in the student union building. They are very well organized and very serious about getting outside! There is so much adventuring to be had in BC, it's awesome to see a club living up to its location.

Another great feature of the VOC is their website. The website has a calendar with the upcoming trips details and sign-ups. You can sign up via the website and communicate rides via the message board for each specific trip. Also they publish a book every year detailing the trips that members went on and their experiences. It is an entire book filled with trip ideas and helpful first-hand experiences. I am excited to look through it and plan trips for this summer.

This is the link to the VOC website where you can find more information about them.
http://www.ubc-voc.com/about-voc.

Last weekend I went on a beginner climbing trip with the VOC and will be sharing my experience in my next blog post! Be prepared for some amazing pictures :).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday: Stanley park strolls and Seymour skiing

Co-op in Vancouver!

Casey comes to visit!