Canada, eh?

PSA: Canada is not the U.S. 

I didn't think that it was possible to experience "culture shock" or notice any major differences in way of life here, but I was proven wrong. Canada is not just a northern version of the United States.


First off, I have noticed that Canadians (or at least Vancouverites) use these differing expressions.

1. Beanies are called "toques".

2. The term for bathroom is "washroom".

3. The term "sophomore" or "junior" are not used to describe year in school. Its all by year (i.e "1st year" or 2nd year"), which is similar to Northeastern. Woooo leg up on that one!

4. They use the english way of spelling (i.e. colour, organise, cheque).

5. The term "keener" is used commonly to describe someone as eager. I like this one 😎.

6. Sneakers are called "runners".

7. They actually use the word "hoser"!! I thought this was just a stereotypical term, but people actually use it to describe an "unsophisticated person".


Other things that I have noticed...

Tim Horton's is better than Dunkin' Donuts 😱 😱 😱 😱 😱. If Dunkin' got sundried tomato asiago bagels then maybe it would be back in the running. But for now, Timmy ho hos is in the lead.


ALSO poutine is the best thing ever. It's native to Quebec, but I have had some amazing poutine on the good ol' west coast. Fries + gravy + cheese curds= happy keener.


Lastly, Canadians are really so nice!! Almost too nice...but really they will do anything for you and strangers smile on the street at you. Very different from the east coast.

As I spend more time here, I'm sure I will find more differences and quirks but that's all for now!

<33333

Lucy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday: Stanley park strolls and Seymour skiing

Co-op in Vancouver!

Casey comes to visit!